New Jersey Child Custody Attorney
During a divorce, child custody can be the most emotional issue. Parents often become nervous with the fear of losing custody or the amount of time they can spend with their child or the loss of voice in their child’s rearing. All legitimate concerns. And we can help.
At The Law Offices of Katherine G. Houghton, we take the time to listen to your unique situation and fully explain how the New Jersey custody and parenting rights affect you. By creating a parenting plan based on your expectations, we can begin the negotiation process with targeted goals. Since 1984, we have compassionately helped numerous parents maximize custody rights and resolve parental disputes.
Part of the plan…
New Jersey child custody laws follow a set of guidelines that help the court determine which parent is awarded custody based on the best interests of the child or children involved.
In making an award of custody, the court shall consider following factors:
- The parents’ ability to agree, communicate and cooperate in matters relating to the child
- The parents’ willingness to accept custody and any history of unwillingness to allow parenting time not based on substantiated abuse
- The interaction and relationship of the child with its parents and siblings and the history of domestic violence
- The safety of the child and the safety of either parent from physical abuse by the other parent
- The preference of the child when of sufficient age and capacity to reason so as to form an intelligent decision
- The needs of the child
- The stability of the home environment offered
- The quality and continuity of the child’s education; the fitness of the parents
- The geographical proximity of the parents’ homes
- The extent and quality of the time spent with the child prior to or subsequent to the separation
- The parents’ employment responsibilities
- The age and number of the children.
If you would like to speak with us regarding your child custody concerns, or have questions about divorce related issues, contact us today. We can help.